Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Ultimate Post

Ok, so this is the ultimate post because it is complete with stories from the last week, and yes, PICTURES!

This picture is of me reclining on the roof, my favorite spot.

Ok, so just to let you know...if you read this, you are dedicated to reading the whole thing, and you're in for the long haul. And believe me, this is a LONG HAUL! Well, I realized that I haven't really written in over a week...YIKES.
So let's see. Last Monday I did kinda a lot. I had to find my way to a school I had never been to before alone to pick up tickets to a choir concert later that night over on the island. So I raced over and then went with Melissa to TST to do some random shopping. We went to the Esprit outlet...I could spend way too much $ there. I'm not a big shopper in the states, but here, it is way too easy. Thankfully, Melissa takes as long as I do to decide! Gotta love another person who will spend hours looking to just get a shirt...my kind of shopper. So yeah. Then I went back to Mike and Melissa's flat to get changed into dressy clothes for the concert...then got over to the island and went to the concert. It was pretty good, unfortunately...I didn't get to say Hi to my girls before I left. But I think they still appreciated it. SO yeah. Then Tuesday through Friday was working, made a video, etc, etc. Got lost once. Frustrating. But, I am getting better.


This is me and Brett posing with the giant donut

Ok, well, I do have quite a good story to tell that was mid week! Ok, so on Thursday morning at 7 am, the 2nd Krispy Kreme store in HK opened up. An intern from the island was the first customer at the first store and won free donuts for a year. He has a golden card that he carries around...it's really like willy wonka...crazy, eh? So yeah...so the deal is that the first customer at the store gets free donuts for a year, the 2nd and 3rd get free donuts for a month, and the first 50 get a t shirt. So yeah. Me and Brett Enns (part of the fam I live with) decided that we should try to be the first customer there. So we decided to get there around 8 pm the night before. We thought we were probably going to be the first ones there. So we went to SoHo...it's on the island and by the longest escalators in the world. Ok, when I read my travel book, I thought it would be more exciting...nope. Not at all, very unimpressive. So yeah, we found it and we also found 1 other boy waiting before us. It sucked. But he had been there since 4 that afternoon. So yeah. HE and his friends were taking turns in line, and they were gonna share the card. It was dumb b/c the one boy was a jerk to his friend and would make him hold his spot in line for a few hours and come back, and he expected to get the credit in the newspaper. So not. So yeah. We made a table out of a cardboard box and played cards and stuff. It was fun. We also got free pizza b/c the owner of KK also owned a pizza place down the road. Then periodically they would bring out donuts. It was great. Liam showed up and hung out with us for a few hours, introduced us to the manager, who now loves us. And Kristin Enns and her friend also came for a few hours to hang out too. I slept on a pizza box for part of the night on the sidewalk. I laugh now to think I slept on a sidewalk in HK. So gross. But then I slept in the entryway to the store which was up a few steps so it was cleaner and off the ground. Much better. I think I got like 3 hrs off and on of sleep. Then around 5 things started hopping, and then at 7 we walked in the store and got our golden ticket. It was sweet! Soo sweet. Yeah, and the manager didn't stamp our cards (which means more donuts for us) and he also gave us assorted donuts, not just original...it rocked. So that was Wednesday and Thursday morning! I was so dead and smelly that morning! But I went back to Mike and Mel's and took a shower and went to work. Not sure how productive I was! And I got lost in TST too. Which always frustrates me so badly. I mean, understand how...the city has 7 mil people...but still, I've been here for a while. Oh well. I found my way back from TST all by myself last night, and boy was I proud of myself...still am!


/> These are the kids playing a game at (R)evolve

So Friday...Friday was a good day. It was like the first Friday that I wasn't stressed out of my mind! Hahahaa. So yep. It was good. Worship team practice was probably the highlight of that day. The kids are very talented, but don't like to experiment. So yeah. I started by having them play that game from Who's Line where they make up a song. That was Mike's sweet idea. But then we decided to do the game with worship songs. So we had one person pick the chords for the verse and the chorus, then we had a person pick a "worship phrase" for the verse and the chorus. Usually, whoever picked the chords would start the song and then everyone else would join in. And the singer would sing the first phrase, and then whatever came out of her heart. It was so sweet. I think it was the coolest time I've ever had doing worship through music, b/c I stopped to think what I was singing, and it was exactly what was in my heart, and it wasn't words that some one had written for me. It was great. And the kids had fun too. It stretched them, but that was OK. So yeah. Then we had (R)evolve, which went good. Then we stayed around to watch our usual episode of HOUSE. So good. Yeah, and I went w/ the girls to a new restaurant which has bubble tea, for way cheaper than St. Alps! Wooohooo!
This is Liam, he is actually holding onto two of the hand poles and lifting himself up...he wanted me to explain it so that he doesn't look like a monkey...

So yeah. Then yesterday I went to the island with Liam to play a random game. It was so fun. We got on the MTR (the train) and went to every stop. Just to let you know, the MTR runs all over HK island and part of Kowloon. It was crazy. There were like 5 lines. It took us four hours. The rules were that at every stop we had to touch both feet to the ground in the station, then get back in. At the beginning, we got out and ran two doors down. And then we tried to sit in every seat in one of the cars at the end of one of the lines, but the train driver got mad. Then we also took pictures reclining across a whole bench of seats...hardly no one was in the train so it was great! We also tried to run from one end of the train to the other. We didn't think we could make it between two stops, but Liam was just a few feet from making it. It was amazing. And at the beginning and end of every line we got a picture with the station sign. I felt so accomplished when we got out to the last station and I could say I went to every MTR stop in HK in one day. Who does that? We do. We plan on doing it with the KCR too (the KCR is the other train system in HK, it runs only in Kowloon and the New Territories). After we were done we were just walking around, (it is the Festival of the Lanterns this week, and there are some random and cool displays around HK) and we saw a crowd in the park and walked up to it, and there were people breakdancing. It was so funny, and they were good too. Great entertainment.

Today was church, which went really good. We tried a new thing with communion Sunday where we had stations around the sanctuary...Prayer, repentance, communion, offering (of talents, not just $). It was really cool to see the church try it, and actually get into it. After Sunday School, the youth group went bowling. We had like 20 kids and they were a variety of groups, so it was cool. Ok, so I am horrible at bowling. So bad. That college class didn't help me a bit...except for scoring. Ahhhh. Then after bowling, Brett, Joey, PM, and I went to SoHo and got Krispy Kremes...it was sweet b/c they didn't mark our card AND gave us assorted. Theoretically, we could get unlimited free donuts if they don't mark our card. Amazing. We also went to the Flying Pan, which is a 24 hr western breakfast place. I had a bite of PM's french toast...it was good. Then I went home and Art (Mr. Enns) had BBQ'd burgers. And now I'm relaxing! Yes!

No comments: