Monday, March 05, 2007

Tin Roof Tonight

Tin Roof Tonight: Sounds like a Chick flick, or an ice cream, or add "baby" to the end of it, and it could be an emo song. But I'm actually talking about a tin roof. It's raining right now, and I just realized that I think both of my umbrella's are at the church. I haven't posted a serious blog for a while. But I think it's time. Besides, it's raining, which means I can't go outside, which means I have more time to do my homework, which I put before playing RISK tonight with friends. And I'm sick of doing schoolwork, ergo, a blog. Right now, I'm kinda in the bittersweet part of this whole experience of being overseas. I'm missing home, and family, and friends. But at the same time, as soon as I know it's time to pack up, my heart will be rebelling for all it's worth. I also don't really like the fact that I'm missing those things so badly, because in the future I plan on being gone from home quite a bit longer.
I look around and realize the blessings that I've been given these past 6 + months. I was sitting in Habibi's with two new friends on Saturday night, and realized that several friends wanted to do things with me that night, while, in the beginning of my time here I was spazzing out because I thought I needed friends so badly and didn't have any. But when I learned (this lesson isn't done being learned though) that Christ is sufficient, I wound up having several good friends. People and families that I love spending time with. I live with an awesome family, and even though they're Canadian (hahah, just kidding), they rock. They threw a birthday party for me, and encourage me to keep playing Settlers (even though I lose 4 out of the 4 games we play a week), and continually invite me to go wakeboarding, even though I have yet to do it. And I get to be an aunt to a little (almost) 2 year old whose aunts are far away. I work in an office with a coffee maker 8 inches from my head, but it is still encouraged to go to Pacific Coffee for meetings. An office where the Friday songs are, "Kung Fu Fighting" and "You are Beautiful". Where the secretary really does know everything, and where the cultural differences among the staff are so different, that I must keep myself from laughing when menstruation is mentioned in a prayer meeting. An office where my boss only says he's my boss when he is forcing me to accept something generous. And a job where I am forced to work on myself as a person, like learning to be patient, to speak in public, to pray, teach, and work on a mac. I am so very grateful for all of these things.
I thought I had more to say than that. I started off giving myself a large slot of time. So people at home, I miss you, I still am very glad to be here, I'm still learning, growing, and stretching, and learning patience (I knew that was a bad thing to pray for...it always gets answered by way of testing!) Just one more thing:
While you're at home being buried alive in snow...this is what we have here!

No comments: