Saturday, January 20, 2007

Unaware

Tonight after (R)evolve I stood on the train, in the usually position: leaning in a corner. I had my new iPod out, and was playing solitaire. I don't like to read when I'm standing, so I usually find something else to do if I don't get a seat. That, of course, is a huge waste of time since I only get a seat about 1/2 the time. So I was standing there, playing solitaire on a tiny little screen, when I decided to take a look around me. I noticed a guy on the bench adjacent to me, on the end, reading a book. Bibles are really, the most recognizable books in the world. I had no doubt that it was a Bible, and not a Koran, the book of Mormon, or any other type of prayer book. Whoever decided that all Bibles should look relatively the same was a genius. Unless, they don't, and it's just something a fellow Christian knows. I found myself observing him almost the whole rest of the train ride. My heart just seemed to warm as I watched him, and I felt so connected somehow, connected to God, and to him. I looked at the Bible, and it was in Chinese, and it made me smile. I felt closer to him than to anyone on the train (the kids that were with me in the beginning left), and he was reading the Word of God in Chinese. It was great. I felt compelled to whip out my Bible (by that point I had put away my game of solitaire and was feeling sufficiently guilty for not attempting to read because I was standing up...) and start reading, or run over to him and say, "Amen brother!" and walk away.
He encouraged me so much. I watched him turn a page, then turn it back, and reread it, he was studying his Bible, and taking pleasure out of it. So often I don't study the Bible when I'm on my own. I just read it. I usually only study it when I need to for a class or lesson or something. He has reignited my fervor for reading on the train, especially my Bible, I never will know who I encourage. I don't know why watching him gave me so much pleasure (he wasn't cute, it wasn't that...) but I was so encouraged, and it gave me joy knowing I was connected with him through the Holy Spirit. And the whole time, he was unaware.

No comments: