Friday, July 21, 2006

So, after I read the forward, I thought.....

PS: These are notes directly from my notebook that I made while I was reading the book>

I whish everyone was more aware of cultural intelligence, just last night, Conan O'Brien made a joke about Viet Namese and Nail Salons...I have been thinking a lot lately about short term (in every aspect of ministry). After taking Urban Intercultural studies, I've been thinking a lot about the value of extended service projects to the city, and how suburban churches can partner with city churches in a way that actually helps them. (Anyone have any suggestions here?) I've been thinking especially about short term missions, especially those who arent doing a work project. Is a work project more productive in the long run than a short term trip based only on evangelism? Esp. for people who don't have CI, I feel like an evangelism trip may be more harmful than helpful in the long run.

1 comment:

Mike said...

good opening thoughts banana. i look forward to reading how all these things flesh out as we move through this journey together.
your question about evangelism is valid one. I don't think it's so black and white that it makes us want to throw out all forms of cross cultural evangelism, but it should make us question the forms of evangelism we use. Are we trying to make western/American Christians or are we introducing our friends to a God that's right there with them?
Keep thinking! Great start!