Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Chapter One!

Here are some more thoughts of mine. Chapter one was on The Globe:
*Does it matter that the standard for poverty changes with the country or region?
For Example: many people, when talking about poverty, state the fact that, "even America's poor are fat" While I know this statement is true, compared to many countries, can we just simply blow off America's poor? I know that there are many opportunities for the poor here, but I know many people are getting slammed by the system that is supposed to help them. While I agree that the poor here probably don't deal with the level of disease and poverty that is all over the world, I'm still just not sure how to deal with that fact...can we say, "who needs us the most?" with a clear conscience? (THis last statement is a real question...anyone have any opinions?)
*Need vs. Want
I thought that this was a great point. I want so many things, and many times, I pass it off as need. This is so apparent to me right now especially: I have my suitcases right now in my basement for HK, and I'm starting to fill them. I know that I don't need to fill two gigantic suitcases with things...but it is tempting!
*Is globalization just westernization?


That's all for now folks

1 comment:

Mike said...

you make some great points in your questions about the poor. I definitely think poverty can be subjective based on region and country but agree that poverty is still poverty. When we are called to help the poor, i don't think we're told they have to be this poor or this sick, we are simply called to care for them in whatever situation God allows us to be in. If we are around the poverty in America, how can we help? Maybe we know of needs in Africa, Malaysia, Afghanistan, what can we do there?
I am a stuff gatherer, so the points about need and want always hit home for me. Thanks for your thoughts.