Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Rebarbative Stages

My time here is winding down. More like plummeting quickly to an end. I'm finding myself so conflicted about it. I am getting so excited to see my family, but at the same time, I know that once I leave here, it's like it's officially over. This chapter will have an abrupt end no matter what. And that end is a week from Tuesday when I leave "On a jet plane...don't know when I'll be back again...". Pardon me while I drift into a TimeLife infommercial from a midnight in my past. The other day I was helping to paint Mike and Melissa's new flat and talking to Ryan, another friend that was painting. He's a teacher and he and his wife and baby moved here around the same time as I did. So he asked me what was the best thing that I've done while I've been here, and I had to think long and hard...and still didn't come up with an answer. So I'm going to start working on this post, and keep adding to it, and probably publish it in a week or so. Just to warn you, it may get sappy at the end. =) Some of my favorite times in Hong Kong:

*learning how to wakeboard in Sai Kung on the Enns' boat
*tubing with the Enns and whoever else was on their boat at the time
*playing Settlers with the Enns
*going to Macau with PM and Mel and Izzy to "get my passport stamped", and to also look at furniture
*falling asleep with Izzy in a rocking chair the same day
*babysitting Izzy
*the first time Izzy ran to me with her arms open
*going to Thailand for American Thanksgiving and seeing NWC students there.
-seeing James Bond
-seeing the Prestige
-having the most unconventional thanksgiving ever
-getting my haircut without any verbal communication
-seeing people that I recognized in Asia
-chatting with Dr. E
-DQ and Dunkin Donuts
*Leading the youth worship team
-the thousands of times asking for feedback from the group and getting blank stares, even though all of them are extremely gifted musicians...they like to go with the flow
-playing all hymns one Sunday and bombing them
-playing all new youth songs, and bombing with the congregation
-worshiping in sync
-doing adlib song writing
-spending time with the team
*Getting lost for over 2+ hours late at night (I pretty much almost crossed the border into mainland) Thankfully, Brett NEVER turns his cell phone off and always answers it!!!
*Realizing that I missed my stop by two stops, but deciding it would be easier to wait till the bus came back down the same route on it's return...Though I knew it was a circular route, I didn't know that it takes almost 2 hours to complete. Whoops.
*Getting hopelessly lost in TST and being only a few blocks away from where I was supposed to be
*RISK with the youth pastors
*Getting lost a block from church, (Ok, we'll make it three blocks)
*Missing my train stop twice in the same trip
(As you can see, I have many fond memories of getting lost)
*Trying to get to starbucks at the border crossing and almost getting arrested, this happened twice
*Sleeping on a sidewalk in the heart of the city on a pizza box...this was when me and Brett waited all night outside of the 2nd Krispy Kreme to open...and yes, we did win the golden ticket!
*Going to SoHo every Sunday after church to get 2 dozen Krispy Kremes...that got really old...and fattening...
*Going to Ebeneezer's with Scott...he introduced me to it
*Going to Ebeneezer's with anyone.
*Ordering over the phone for Ebeneezer's
*Sleeping over and PM and Mel's.
*Dai Pai Dong
*Having Christmas with PM and Mel...Christmas dinner rocked...
*Walking from Hung Hom to TST at Christmas time
*Exploring the heritage museum by myself
*Going to CROSSROADS INT'L with CAIS as a chaperone...getting to live in the "slums" there for a night and doing simulations
*Going to CROSSROADS with the youth group
*Going to Thailand with Mike and Melissa and Izzy...
-having fun with Sangkor
-Eating spicy salad
-Eating DQ..a lot
-Exploring a Sangkor Fair by myself...it was sweet that I sort of blended in...
-trying new Thai delicacies, and mumbling everything and pointing so that they wouldn't know I only spoke English
*Riding the bus with Angela Chan after Revolve and discussing China vs. Hong Kong
*Going to EXP with Angela Li
*Going to EXP with Angela Li and Vania...discussing everything from Manga, to boys, to fashion, to God, to devotions, to birthday presents, and family
*Watching Angela Li use chopsticks
*Angela trying to teach me to use chopsticks properly, which was every time we ate together
*Listening to Ben Chan play piano
*Chinese New Year
*The youth group's Thanksgiving
*Singing at Keswick
*Discussing ways Vania could possibly die before our next event
*Lunch Bunch days with the Youth Group
*Din Tai Fung...esp with Melissa...=)
*Going to an intra church meeting at the Mother Church
*Finding my way to a theatre without getting lost
*Going to band concerts
*My 20th Birthday
*Standing in the hall holding hands with people from all corners of the earth singing Christmas Carols and praying
*Playing the Friday songs for Dorie
*Making coffee in the office
*Lunches at CAIS
*Girl's Bible Study
*Lunches at ICS...or at Dunbar Snack...hahaha
*Playing the piano at the funeral of the father in law of a celebrity and sitting five seats from that celebrity. Then hearing from PM about his lunch with him the next day.
*Watching Caleb try to lick his elbow
*Finding out why Angela is nicknamed Manson
*learning how to teach...this is still on going
*The development of the coffee house in the office
*Tuesday morning meetings with PM at PCC
*Hanging out with Lori...Tai Po, the Big Buddha, talking in the kitchen...that woman has wisdom galore
*Time with Dorie...she literally knows everything, and is so humble, loving, and fun.
*Being there for Izzy's 2 year birthday...and remembering that I was there right before whe was born
*Hanging out with Melissa...Esprit, the ghetto of Hung Hom, the lanes, baking Christmas cookies, getting advice, seeing her laugh at a random Christmas song...she's amazing
*Lofty Virtue
*Listening to Angela and Brett discuss Manson and Eminem
*Staff meetings...ok, these aren't always exciting or enjoyable, but meeting together with the others in the office is always good.
*The weekly CD warehouse run with Beckel after church
*Buying eggs for the Easter egg hunt, actually, coloring them was the fun part. I ended up buying 200 brown eggs without realizing it.
*Google Paper
*Friday night train rides home
*Mong Kok with the women from church
*Activities with the Rainers
*Having my Mom visit...that was so great!
-going to Cheng Chau, the Peak, MK, tea ceremony, seeing her actually get excited to shop
*Teaching a lesson that clicked with everyone...and receiving a trowel of righteousness
*Packing...NOT
*St. Alp's Tea House
*Being humbled and overwhelmed by love.


That's all for now. It's now Monday evening and I leave in the morning tomorrow. I cannot believe that these 9 months are over. I have learned so much, been taught so much, loved and been loved so much. God has watched over me blessed every step that I've taken. I feel so lucky that I have the opportunity to serve here. I'm beginning to realize a little bit more about being a servant. This weekend, I was drowned by love and generosity from the youth group and people at the church. People would thank me, and the only thing I could think is, "This is so backwards...THANK YOU! I am feeling quite...well, indescribable at this moment. I am turning the page with great weight and hesitation, yet excited for what lies ahead. The people and experiences won't be left in my past, nor shadow my future, but I carry them with me, and run toward the prize.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incrеdible pоints. Grеat aгguments.
Keep up the gгeat effort.

Mу web-site - private blog network

Anonymous said...

Тhanks for finally talking about > "The Rebarbative Stages" < Loved it!

my webpage; Lloyd Іrvin