Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Fusion

Sunday night was a night that I will remember for a long time, and one of my highlight times that I've had in HK. Sunday afternoon Dorie, Emelda, Ave, Map, Melissa, and I met at the MTR to go to spend time in Mong Kok. We had quite the group: Dorie and Emelda are Filipino, Ave is a Kiwi (from New Zealand), Map is Chinese, Melissa (White-American), and Me (American-but-no-one-would-guess-it). None of us noticed how odd of a group we looked until we sat down to dinner.
We met in the MTR and then headed toward the Ladies Market. I'd never been there, and I think it was one of the best I've been to. It was fun going with Map, because she grew up in the area, and of course is fluent in Cantonese. So she bargained for us and showed us how to get food at the side stalls along the road. We all got Bubble Tea for $5 HKD, and where I usually get it, it is $20+! And everyone else got hooked on it too. We also fish balls and they were actually good. After wandering through the hyper crowded Ladies Market (seriously, there could easily be a million people there...if not, at least 100,000), we wandered around to Temple Street Night Market, which is the most famous night market in Hong Kong. Then we ate dinner at a Dai Pai Dong Restaurant that her friend owns. Dai Pai Dong is an outdoor street restaurant. According to HK magazine, it's a dying cultural landmark. We had amazing food. Well, it was mostly amazing. We had Oyster bake and clams. The clams were so delicious! I could've have eaten just those. We also had Chinese Sausages, chicken feet (I only could finish a toe), radish cake, and egg pudding stuff. It was great. The best part was just hanging out with some of my favorite women in Hong Kong. It was a great way to spend time with them and to see a side of Hong Kong that I had never seen before, even though I had walked those streets before. Here's a few pictures...

No comments: