Sunday, December 10, 2006

A Penny For My Thoughts?




Here are some random, unstructured thoughts of mine.


*I like high school band concerts, as long as:

a. They don't go too long (two hours is the max)

b. There is enough variety

c. The chairs are comfortable

d. There is a minimum amount of talking

*Spaghetti House lasagna is the best in the world

*I am really excited for Christmas

*Tomorrow is my day off

*John Travolta sucks

*Starbucks' Peppermint Mocha is the best coffee holiday drink in any coffee shop

*Red sprinkles totally makes anything better

*It is always fun at a social gathering to sit next to someone and comment on everything. Ex. Sitting next to PM at the band concert...so funny. The poor people in front of us probably hated it. We played Peggy Kohl's clapping game. Peggy, I wish you had been there!

*My mom is coming to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks

*I wore an Indian tunic thing today and I felt very Indian

*I have a great new Chai recipe

*Hummus is still the best

*Canadians say "drama" (Draw-ma) like d-ram-a, with the ram pronounce "ram"

*Ballroom dancing is sweet...I wish I knew more dances and had people to dance with

*It's getting "chilly" here, lower 70s, and 60s at night


Here are some random, semi-structured thoughts of mine:


The roof of the Enns' house is one of my favorite spots in Hong Kong, and almost from the beginning, I thought that it would be so beautiful to string white Christmas lights and have a party up there. So I decided to throw a Christmas party for the Enns' last night instead of trying to buy all of them presents that they would like. I had so much fun planning this party: I bought white Christmas lights and strung them along the roof, then I got fake evergreen strands and hung them across the clotheslines, and I got hors d'oeuvres, made a cake with "Merry Christmas" on the top, and I got lasagna from Spaghetti house. Seriously, that is the best lasagna in the whole world. Then we all ate on the roof, it was so pretty with the white lights, the foggy mountains all around, and the Christmas music playing in the background from my computer. I had so much fun throwing it for them, I appreciate them so much.


Tonight was the CAIS Christmas band conference. Christian Alliance is the school that Art Enns is the headmaster of, and our church works pretty closely with them. I eat lunch there with the kids once a week, and about 10 of our kids go there. Tonight the 5th, 6th, concert, philharmonic, and jazz bands played. The dance class also did several ballroom dances. It was so fun going. As me and Lori and Mike were waiting in the foyer for the doors to open, and I realized how many people I've gotten to know. I was able to say hi to several parents of kids I know and a lot of the teachers as well. Then when the bands started playing, I was able to pick out kids that I know, which happened to be a lot, and just be excited to see them play. This fall, our main theme in the youth group has been the Jesus Creed from Mark 12(Love God, Love others). I could say that the reason I am here is "for the kids, and to get to know them and lead and serve them" (which I have said before, and it is true, but it's so much more). But what God has called me to is living globally or doing ministry globally (that is my new term for missions or being a missionary). Living as a Christian means glorifying God and loving others. Most often, this means getting into their lives, and letting them get into yours as you glorify God, love them, and serve together. As I was sitting there, watching all the kids, I realized how much I've gotten to know and started to love these kids. And they've gotten to me as much as I have to them. It was so fun to pick out kids and know their personality, and who their friends are, and who they are.


And one more thing:


Last week, Kay, one of our (R)evolve girls asked me if there was going to be a girls' Bible Study, like the one that Mike leads with several of the boys. Of course I said yes, and in fact, this is something that Mike had in mind from the beginning. I will start it after Christmas. But I'm really nervous about this. I know I just need to dive in and do it, but it's new, to lead a Bible study alone, with people who aren't my peers. So I have to find a Bible study that would be appropriate and that would be a good fit for the girls. And I'm mostly nervous about the actual teaching part. Teaching isn't exactly my forte, relationship building is. And I know that knowing how to teach just takes practice, which I will get plenty of this year. And I think I'm partly nervous about the preparation and the personal responsibility it means for me as well. Like I said, I am a relational person, and leading kids that are 3 years younger than me (those are the oldest) is hard. It's hard not to go into friend mode, and I need to remember that I must first be a leader and that their spiritual lives are most important, and friend comes last. So with that, please just pray for every aspect of this upcoming Bible study: That I will know which study to choose, that I would be able to dive in with my heart, and that it would all just fall into place, and that God would lead me and show me how to lead as well.

No comments: